Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Age of Ultron Thoughts

Age of Ultron is Marvel's big crossover story arc for 2013. It's main story is within a ten issue limited series and ties-in with several other Marvel books including Superior Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Avengers Assemble and more. It tells the tale of Ultron's complete takeover of the Earth, and how the unlikely duo of Sue Storm and Wolverine must save it. This article isn't exactly an analysis of the series, as my collection is incomplete. However, I have just read #10 and want to give some of my thoughts on what I've read and what post AU is going to look like.

Age of Ultron #1

To cut right to the chase, the ending to Age of Ultron did not feel climactic enough. Nothing was really wrapped up, and the ending only created more problems for the Marvel Universe. It's great that all these stories are being set up across the various books, but I feel a major crossover event should have a much more epic, satisfying conclusion. It shouldn't just be the set up for future stories.

Speaking of those future stories, I don't really understand how they are really related to Ultron or even how good of stories they're going to be. Yeah, Avengers A.I is directly because of Ultron, but I honestly don't see a series like that lasting. Hunger seems like a cool story, but doesn't have much to do with Ultron or his takeover, it's all because of the time travel. I feel like if they're going to use AU to set up more storylines, they need to be more directly caused by Ultron and not by the 'broken space-time continuum' cliche.

And now Angela. I really got the feeling that AU's entire point was to introduce the Spawn character Angela. Now, I don't know much about Angela or even Spawn for that matter, so I don't know what kind of purpose she'll serve in the Marvel Universe. Regardless, she had nothing to do with the AU story and if it's only purpose was to give her an introduction (and a lousy one at that) then I'm really upset.

Anyway, AU as a whole (or what I've collected of it) was a good story nonetheless, perhaps just because I love Ultron so much. Just wanted to give my thoughts on some of these issues real quick. I'm going to try and finish my collection of AU and hopefully do a full analysis in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment